Re: [linux-lvm] xfs freeze nad snapshot problem

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:30:51 +0100, Piw <piw e-liberty pl> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I got following problem:
> Trying to make snapshot of lv with xfs filesystem:
> # xfs_freeze -f /data
> # lvcreate -L20G --snapshot --name snap /dev/VG/LV
>
> and system lock...
>
> (kill -9 doesnt work)
>
> I have to create another session and remowe lockup with:
> # xfs_freeze -u /data
>
> If I try to create snapshot without freezeng xfs, it works (bo no
> cohesion is guaranteed).
>
> kernel: 2.6.9
> lvm:    2.00.25
> dm:     1.00.19
>
> Anyone can help?
> TIA
>
> PS.
> This problem is mentioned in:
> http://www.netsys.com/suse-linux-e/2002/08/msg01933.html
> but no sloution
> --
> Piw

I have not tried it with 2.6 kernel series and LVM2 userland, but
snapshots were (and are) working fine with later 2.4.x kernels and LVM
1 userland.

I wrote xfstests/068 a couple years ago to confirm they were working
reliably then.

Hopefully it still works?  But 068 may need updating for LVM2?

http://oss.sgi.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/xfs-cmds/xfstests/

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer