[linux-lvm] HA Fileserver configuration recommendation sought.

Shea,Dan [CIS] Dan.Shea at ec.gc.ca
Fri Nov 19 20:07:14 UTC 2004

Gary, I have a simialar configuration RHAS3.0 and a Dell PE6650 connected to an EMC SAN using 1 emulex Fibre optic card per server.
When I do a pvscan I get back below.
[root at murphy root]# pvscan
pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- ACTIVE   PV "/dev/sda5" of VG "npmu_vg01" [192.89 GB / 11.25 GB free]
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sdb1" of VG "npmu_vg02" [667.55 GB / 299.55 GB free]
pvscan -- ACTIVE   PV "/dev/sdc1" of VG "npmu_vg02" [667.55 GB / 299.55 GB free]
pvscan -- total: 3 [1.49 TB] / in use: 3 [1.49 TB] / in no VG: 0 [0]

Sometimes when there is a reboot there ia a problem either with lvm or powerpath.
Have you had a similar problem in the past?
If so is it fixable by a PowerPath configuration or upgrading to lvm2?

RedHat and EMC have not been very helpful.

[root at pascal root]# pvscan

pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)

pvscan -- ACTIVE PV "/dev/sda5" of VG "npmu_vg01" [192.89 GB / 12.23 GB free]

pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sdb1" is associated to unknown VG "npmu_vg02" (run vgscan)

pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sdc1" is associated to unknown VG "npmu_vg02" (run vgscan)

pvscan -- total: 3 [1.49 TB] / in use: 3 [1.49 TB] / in no VG: 0 [0]

[root at pascal root]# vgexport npmu_vg02

vgexport -- ERROR "lvm_tab_vg_remove(): VG doesn't exist" removing volume group "npmu_vg02" from "/etc/lvmtab"

vgexport -- volume group "npmu_vg02" NOT sucessfully exported

[root at pascal root]# vgimport npmu_vg02 /dev/sdb1

vgimport -- doing automatic backup of volume group "npmu_vg02"

vgimport -- volume group "npmu_vg02" successfully imported and activated

[root at pascal root]# pvscan

pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)

pvscan -- ACTIVE PV "/dev/sda5" of VG "npmu_vg01" [192.89 GB / 12.23 GB free]

pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sdb1" of VG "npmu_vg02" [667.55 GB / 299.55 GB free]

pvscan -- ACTIVE PV "/dev/sdc1" of VG "npmu_vg02" [667.55 GB / 299.55 GB free]

pvscan -- total: 3 [1.49 TB] / in use: 3 [1.49 TB] / in no VG: 0 [0]

[root at pascal root]#