[linux-lvm] HA Fileserver configuration recommendation sought.

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Tue Nov 23 00:42:36 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 07:36, Kevin Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 20:18, Dan Stromberg wrote:
>

> > Last I heard:
> >
> > Sistina (prior to the Redhat purchase) had a roadmap for GFS, which
> > included bringing it up to, but not surpassing, the 16 terabyte limit.
> Plans were always to go way past 16TB, requires 64bit hardware
> architectures and the 2.6 kernel to push the limits.

I see.  Thank you for clearing that I'm.

I'm now guessing that the person who told me this was restricting his
vision to 32 bit hardware.

> > Since the Redhat purchase, my understanding is that this previous
> > roadmap has been scrapped, and there are no longer any immediate plans
> > to raise the GFS filesystem size limit from 2 terabytes to 16 terabytes
> > - in which case, you can pretty much just use NFS, unless you're stuck
> > with small disks or low density servers.  :)
> >
> > I'd -really-like- to find out this isn't true.
> >
> For the 2.6 kernel, GFS should be able to go to 16TB on 32bit machines.
> On 64 bit machines, the theoretical limit is something like 8 exabytes.
> If anyone wants to pony up that amount of storage, we would be more than
> happy to give it a go.  In the meantime, smaller sizes are going to be
> validated.  So, plans have not been scrapped or even changed much from
> Sistina to Red Hat.

Would would GFS on kernel 2.6 do with a bunch of 32 bit machines with
disks attached to them, but a 64 bit client?

Is GFS for kernel 2.6 ready at this point?  Or nearly so?

Thanks for the great info.  :)