[linux-lvm] How to extend the file system online?

Rocty Wang rocty at 21cn.com
Sat Oct 9 09:58:12 UTC 2004

Hi, all,

    After I used LVM2 to create PV, VG, LV on the attached storage

disks, I want to format logical volume as a file system and

possibly extend the file system of LV online. But when I prefer to

"ext3" file system, I find the tool "resize2fs" only can resize

ext3 file system offline.

    OS: Linux Fedora Core2(kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp)

    LVM version: 2.00.15(2004-04-19)

    Library version: 1.00.14-ioctl(2004-04-06)

    Driver version: 4.1.0

    Operations:

    pvcreate /dev/sda

    pvcreate /dev/sdb

    vgcreate vg1 /dev/sda /dev/sdb

    lvcreate -L 100G -n lv1 vg1

    mke2fs /dev/vg1/lv1

    mount /dev/vg1/lv1 /mnt

    lvextend -L +50G /dev/vg1/lv1

    Then I used "resize2fs" tool to extend file system, but failed.

I know it must be done when "umount" the lv1.

    If another tool can finish that running under Linux?

    Or if any other file system can be mounted and resized online under
Linux?

XFS? I don't know.

Anyone can help me? Thanks!

Rocty Wang