[linux-lvm] PV corruption: allocated PE > total PE

Toby Dickenson toby at tarind.com
Tue Oct 12 07:41:14 UTC 2004

Ive just noticed that one of my PVs has more allocated PE's than the total
available, leading to a negative amount of free space:

vrumpet root # pvdisplay -d /dev/hda5
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/hda5
  VG Name               myvg
  PV Size               11.72 GB / not usable 33.65 MB
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size (KByte)       32768
  Total PE              374
  Free PE               4294967278
  Allocated PE          392
  PV UUID               TXK2VM-UWdP-dMbY-yz4c-Nq3b-GM32-B56udb

This is on a gentoo linux system, kernel 2.6.6. The latest LVM userland in
gentoo is 2.00.08, I havent tried anything more recent, but there doesnt seem
anything relevant in the change log. These VGs were originally created using
LVM1 on a 2.4 kernel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,