[linux-lvm] High loads when writting to LVM

Judd Tracy jtracy at ist.ucf.edu
Wed Oct 27 15:14:05 UTC 2004

I have a system that I am testing out lvm on to get a feeling about
stability and performance.  Stability right now seems good, but I am a
little worried about the performance currently I am writing out a large
file ~1TB using dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=1M and am noticing the load
seams extreamly high "5.21, 5.26, 5.17".  Most of the work is being done
in dd but I also notice that kswapd0 is also working fairly heavily.  Is
this to be expected with LVM or do i have things setup wrong.  Write
performance seems to be around 100MB/s on an XFS filesystem.

System:
Opteron 242 1.4Ghz
2 GB RAM
Tyan S2882