[linux-lvm] Re: partition strategy

Arshavir Grigorian wrote:

Hi,

This is my first post, so please bear with me.

I have 2 free disk areas 230G and 231G. I hoping to take advantage of RAID-0.

Is it better to create 3 partitions 2 x230G + 1G - create a striped LV over the first 2, then add the third to the volume group, then extend the LV over to the new 1G extension (since LVM2 allows extending striped lv-s). And if so, does the non-striped area get used as a last resort (after the striped area is completely full)?

OR

Is it better to create 2 paritions 230G and 231G, put both in a vg, create a striped lv and lvm will take care of striping to the 230G mark, then writing linearly afterwards.

TIA for any advice.

Best,

Arshavir

Hi,

I mailed the above message about a week ago and there have not been any reponses.
I am wondering whether there is a development list where I might have a better chance of getting an answer to my question (the HOWTO page did not mention any dev lists, so I am not sure).
Many thanks.

Arshavir