[linux-lvm] 2 TB limit

P. Larry Nelson lnelson at uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 2 20:15:51 UTC 2004

On 5/12/2004 4:32 PM, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 10:16:44AM -0600, AJ Lewis wrote:
>
>>The PE size limitation isn't present in lvm2 (The version of lvm that works
>>in 2.6) if you use the native lvm2 format.  So you should be able to create
>>larger than 2TB LVs with LVM2.  Just FYI.
>

> As those of you monitoring the lvm-cvs mailing list may have noticed,
> I've added code to the LVM2 CVS tree to help people simulate large devices
> for testing purposes on 2.6 kernels with the latest -udm patches.
>
>   lvcreate --type zero -L16T vg  # Create 16TB 'zero' device
>   lvcreate -s vg/lvol0 -L1G      # Create snapshot of it
>
> Then use the snapshot as a 'sparse' device, in the example, supporting
> upto 1GB of actual data.
>
> [At some point I'll merge it into a one-line command with --type sparse]
>
> NB There's been a lot of change in CVS recently (and more to come)
> so I expect some new bugs to show up along with the new features:-(
>
> Alasdair

Being confined to running RedHat and using their updates and RPMs,
I'm running stock RHEL-ES3 file servers with latest RH kernel of
2.4.21-15.0.4.ELsmp and lvm-1.0.3-15.  I'm led to understand that
the ES3 kernel has portions of the 2.6 kernel in it, but I don't
think it has the portion that can handle >2TB file systems.

I have had a need to go to >2TB file systems for some time and am
sort of limping along by stringing together many 2TB file systems.

Can anyone (perhaps our list contributor from RedHat?) tell me when
I can expect a kernel and lvm from RedHat that will allow me to go
beyond the 2TB limit?

Thanks!
- Larry
--
P. Larry Nelson (217-244-9855) | Systems/Network Administrator
461 Loomis Lab                 | U of I, CITES Departmental Services