Re: [linux-lvm] LVM2 snapshots on root fs

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 02:26:03PM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 19:17 +0100, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
>
> > It is possible to snapshot the root volume, but the method is probably
> > distribution-specific.
>
> Like what?  Using a copy of the /sbin/lvm2 binary not living in the
> rootfs when you want to snapshot it?  What about /lib/libdevmapper.so.*?
> Does it have the same problem?

Just copying /sbin/lvm2 to some other (non root) lvm does not do the
job for me. Even if it worked it seems to be an ugly workaround.

The question is, if there are plans to change the snapshot capabilities
of lvm2 in a way, that makes it possible to create snapshots even if the
tools reside on the lvm.

Regards
Thomas Klaube