[linux-lvm] initrd for LVM2 root partition

How does one manually build an initrd to mount an LVM2 root partition?

I'm aware of the lvmcreate_initrd tool, but in my distribution (Debian unstable) it accompanies LVM1, not 2; besides, I am building the initrd for a foreign architecture, so I think I would have to build it manually anyway.

I've read the LVM HOWTO, particularly http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/upgradetolvmroot.html, which mentions initrds, but I couldn't find any instructions for manually building an LVM initrd. Can someone suggest some documentation to me?

Currently, I am confronted with the following problem, when I run vgscan on my initrd:

# vgscan
  Locking type 1 initialization failed.
#

I suspect this may be because I'm using a read-only filesystem? According to this (almost ancient?) message: http://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2003-January/msg00184.html, vgscan requires a writable filesystem; Is this still the case?

This message describes using tmpfs to avoid this problem: https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2003-January/msg00259.html; are these instructions accurate?

Thanks very much; any help much appreciated!

Jack