[linux-lvm] Unable to create lvm1 configurations

Stanley Yue stanley.yue at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 08:58:14 UTC 2004

Thanks Alasdair, it turns out that have to explicitly enable lvm1 support by:

./configure --with-lvm1=internal

However, now, I'm seeing the following problem.

I have installed both lvm1 and lvm2 utilities onto the same system,
with the lvm-mod and device-mapper from lvm2. I want to test out
whether lvm2 utilities can detect configurations created from lvm1
utilities.

+ pvcreate fails when I'm using the lvm1 utilities.

[root at DAP-RHLNX1 sbin]# ./vgscan  -v
vgscan -- removing "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d"
vgscan -- creating empty "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d"
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created
vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your volume group

[root at DAP-RHLNX1 sbin]# ./pvcreate /dev/hda7
pvcreate -- ERROR: VGDA in kernel and lvmtab are NOT consistent;
please run vgscan

+ However, pvcreate succeed when I'm using the lvm2's pvcreate

[root at DAP-RHLNX1 sbin]# pvcreate /dev/hda7
  Physical volume "/dev/hda7" successfully created

Is there anything wrong with my setup here? Does lvm1 utilities work
with lvm-mod from lvm2?
How can I resync the state between the VGDA in kernel and lvmtab?
Do anyone know how I can get it to work with lvm1's pvcreate?

Thanks,

Stanley