[linux-lvm] LVM2: repairing a VG

Derek Terveer tervde at hawkmoon.mn.org
Sun Sep 26 22:07:37 UTC 2004

Greetings,

I was running suse 9.0 with LVM1 and had a VG called USER with 4 PVs
in it.  I had attempted to add a raid 0 volume, /dev/md0, to the USER
vg but got an error - something like "address out of range."  The VG
was still available, but I couldn't add the device.  After that error,
I couldn't do much of anything with the VG w/o getting the same error.
I then upgraded the system to suse 9.1, which is running LVM2.  A vgscan
now shows the following:

glacis:~ # vgscan
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  3 PV(s) found for VG USER: expected 5
  Volume group "USER" not found
  Found volume group "DB" using metadata type lvm2
glacis:~ # pvscan
  3 PV(s) found for VG USER: expected 5
  Logical volume (lvol4) contains an incomplete mapping table.
  PV /dev/hdc3   VG USER   lvm1 [9.28 GB / 0    free]
  PV /dev/hda4   VG USER   lvm1 [14.16 GB / 0    free]
  PV /dev/sdc1   VG USER   lvm1 [16.81 GB / 0    free]
  PV /dev/hdc1   VG DB     lvm2 [9.28 GB / 288.00 MB free]
  PV /dev/hda3   VG DB     lvm2 [12.97 GB / 0    free]
  PV /dev/md0              lvm2 [16.93 GB]
  Total: 6 [79.43 GB] / in use: 5 [62.50 GB] / in no VG: 1 [16.93 GB]

(A few minutes ago it was 4 PVs found, expecting five.)
All the drives are still available, and there was nothing on /dev/md0.
Is there any way that I can get LVM to just see the original four drives
for VG USER?  That is:
	/dev/hda4
	/dev/hdc3
	/dev/sdc1
	/dev/sdd1

I don't know why sdd1 suddenly disappeared.  If I do an fdisk on it, it
shows up as an lvm device.

derek
--
Ne pas laisser vieillir les hommes doit �tre le grand art du gouvernement.
	- Napoleon I

dt at hawkmoon dot mn dot org
http://c-24-118-230-198.mn.client2.attbi.com