Re: [linux-lvm] pvmove unable to move extents to multiple smaller pvs

Some more information that may be of use:
kernel 2.4.26 (vanilla) on gentoo on a P4 HT and SMP is enabled
lvm 2.00.08

It seems that everytime I do a "pvmove" it would be hard to always go to a contiguous pv the same size or bigger. This is why I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks again [to anyone out there],
Scott Serr

Scott Serr wrote:

I'm trying to use pvmove to shuffle things around. I have a pv with 22375 extents which I would like to remove from the system. I've added two (2) pvs with 11194 extents each. I get an error message:

Insufficient contiguous allocatable extents (11194) for logical volume pvmove0: 22375 required
Allocation for temporary pvmove LV

Now before you say, don't make it contiguous... It seems that it isn't already.

# lvchange --contiguous n /dev/data_vg/data_lv
Allocation policy of logical volume "data_lv" is already not contiguous

Is this normal? Do I really need all that contiguous space on 1 pv?

Thanks in advance,
Scott Serr