[linux-lvm] Problem with UUID on PVs

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Sun Apr 3 19:36:53 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 08:04:46PM +0200, Jiri Bartosik wrote:
>   Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
>   Couldn't find device with uuid 'ZpitfR-Kwsh-8YJH-6RLS-tDZL-Tlhg-xcM99S'.
>   Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group vg_XXX2.

> Is there any way to fix UUID on PV with maintaining data od that PVs? I
> tried uuid_fixer, I looked for some guide, but both didn't work.

> lvm2-2.00.33-r1 installed

Common causes:
  Mixed-up partitioning (e.g. device is partitioned yet the PV was
installed on the whole disk; fix - remove unused partition table)
  pvcreate was run against devices inside the PV
    fix: run pvcreate again with -u to put the uuids back on all the
         devices, followed by vgcfgrestore (once per VG) to put
         the metadata back from current backup

Alasdair
agk at redhat.com