[linux-lvm] vg works fine under FC3, but not FC4

john_gore at yahoo.com john_gore at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 23:09:22 UTC 2005

Thanks - I now see a post you make last year and I think this is exactly the situation
Another cause of problems could be if people created a whole-disk PV
on a device that actually held a partition table - i.e. they
ignored the partition table, even though the kernel would still be using it.

>From 2.00.29, lvm2 tries to detect partitioned devices and stop you
using them directly as PVs unless you remove the partition table first.
(i.e. if it's partitioned, only the partitions can be PVs, not the whole
disk device)

I can remove the partition table, but dont I still have to do something with the sectors residing on the other partitions? If I delete the partition table, LVM would assume the entire disk is formatted the same, but there will still be sectors at the beginning and end that were left over from the boot and swap partitions.

Thanks, John

Alasdair G Kergon <agk at redhat.com> wrote:
No - I'm suggesting you need to check if any *whole device* PVs like hdd
actually have partition tables on them, and if so, remove them.

Alasdair