[linux-lvm] If one disk fails i loose everything?

kyr kkyriak at ee.duth.gr
Tue Dec 6 23:37:50 UTC 2005

  I have tree simple questions about LVM that just could not be answered
  after 4 hours of search in LVM howto, Google, Linux questions and
  linux-lvm Archives.

  I have a small file server with 600Gbytes in one liner volume group
  consisting of 3 200 Gbyte Hard disk. My questions are:

  1. If one hard disk fails (hardware) do I loose all the data stored on
  the VG?

  2. Can I add a new hard disk in the VG without having to format it
  before? (I mean if it is full of data can I just add it?)

  3. In case of failure can I recover the data from a single disk on
  another box?

  Thanks in advance

  Kyriakos

  Greece