[linux-lvm] Re: If one disk fails i loose everything?

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Tue Dec 13 19:41:10 UTC 2005

It really shouldn't work that way.  RAID 5 is based on XOR, and I'm
pretty sure XOR can only recover from a single-number failure.

-But-, if you had a hot spare or warm spare configured, then it would've
been possible for one drive to die, the RAID 5 to be resync'd, another
drive to die, and then still be OK.