[linux-lvm] LVM onFly features

David Johnston david at littlebald.com
Thu Dec 15 20:44:15 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 10:32 -0500, Mag Gam wrote:
> I know AIX LVM and FS act usually as one. Thats where I was going at....
>
> But, thats everyone for their replies!

Not really.  The AIX configuration tools simplify things for you to the
point that you might think that they are acting as one, but they work
exactly the same way under AIX and Linux.  Look at the config tool's
logs, and you will see that to expand a filesystem, it first calls lvm
to expand the logical volume, then calls the jfs utility to expand the
filesystem.  There are internal differences in the two implementations,
but the division between logical block devices and filesystems is there
under both AIX and Linux.

-David