[linux-lvm] bootloader questions

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) jean-luc.coulon at wanadoo.fr
Mon Feb 21 20:50:36 UTC 2005

Le 21.02.2005 21:37:54, rich turner a écrit :
> if i have root(/) on a logical volume, is it required that i have
> /boot
> on a separate filesystem? does /boot have to be a partition?
>
> the boot loaders i need to support are lilo and grub. do the answers
> the above question vary if i use lilo or grub?

both lilo and grub can boot the root filesystem as a logical volume.

but grub cannot boot /boot from a logical volume.
With lilo it can either be a separate lv, a partition, a disk, what you
what. With grub it should be outside of the logical volume manager
(IIRC, there is a patch for grub to use /boot on a LV but I've never
found/tried it)

> thanks for the help

Regards

Jean-Luc