[linux-lvm] Data corruption on large, multi-device filesystem

joe at eiler.net joe at eiler.net
Wed Jan 19 22:14:43 UTC 2005

I have recently run into this problem also.  I have seen it happen on SuSe 9.2,
Fedora Core 2 and 3, and vanilla kernels 2.6.8.1, 2.6.9, and 2.6.10.
All of my tests were using xfs.

It happens whenever 2 or more devices are striped together with a total volume
size greater than 2TB.  I have played with a single 4TB raid (12x 400GB RAID5)
and did not see any corruption (but I did not fill the disk either).

I initially saw the problem running video files over samba. But have recreated
the problem by simply copying some large (5GB+) files and then checking
md5sums.

I don't see any corruption on the files unless I specify the -i option to
lvcreate.  I usually see data corruption within an hour using my current tests.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
Joe