[linux-lvm] LVM + SAN Behavior

Dustin Decker ddecker at kumc.edu
Thu Jan 20 14:04:41 UTC 2005

>>> <gilles.massen at restena.lu> 01/20/05 12:26 AM >>>
[snip]

--
Dustin Decker - Project Manager
Department of Information Resources
University of Kansas Medical Center
3901 Rainbow Blvd.
MS3030 - 3030 Taylor
Kansas City, KS 66160

phone: 913.588.0479
pager: 913.917.0212
fax: 913.588.2579
email: ddecker at kumc.edu

>>> You could make the partition larger, but the only way I found was
to delete the partition, and recreate it with another last sector (this
is
not for weak hearts) and even then I'm not sure that you can resize
your PV easily.

>>> Erm...sorry...I reread your posting: it seems you made the whole
disk, not a partition, a PV? The you would need 'pvresize'. However when
running it, it says: "command not implemented yet" (LVM2, latest
release)

Gilles,
Thanks for the input.  In hindsight, it certainly appears that had I
created an 850GB "partition" on my SAN allotment, and then made a pv of
it, I would have been just fine and dandy.

Lessons learned :)
I'll eventually get around to ensuring whoever maintains the HOW-TO for
LVM addresses this caveat for those who follow us.

Thanks!
Dustin