[linux-lvm] Machine crashed during pvmove, now can't manage VG

Nick Leverton nickl at icritical.com
Fri Jul 1 11:26:07 UTC 2005

My machine hung during a pvmove, and now I get kernel panic when
accessing, in any formatted way, the LV with /usr on.  I've tried running
just 'pvmove' by itself as per the pvmove man page, but it won't recover.
The error message is:
	pvmove: ABORTING: Mirror percentage check failed

I can display the pv, lv, and vg details if I boot from a CD, I can work
with the other LVs on the VG, but I can't figure out how to fix the LV.

How it got like this: I have an lvm2 setup on Debian Sarge (kernels
2.6.8 or 2.6.10, lvm version 2.01.04).  My original drive, hda, was a
mess of small partitions, some LVM and some not.

Yesterday I added a new hard drive (hdb), and introduced it to the VG -
the intention being to move all the contents across and remove the old
drive from the VG, so that I can sort out its layout.

So I did 'pvmove /dev/hda5; pvmove /dev/hda6' as they are the two
partitions I needed freeing up.  The first one (hda5) was taking ages
so I left it going overnight (stdout and stderr were being tee'd to a
file on a non-LVM partition).

I came down this morning and found the machine was frozen.  It has done
this before very rarely, but never at so inopportune a time.  The screen
was blank as monitor powersaving had apparently kicked in.  The saved
stdout records that the first pvmove had gone to 100.0% completion,
but the second hadn't started displaying anything.  The output from
pvdisplay etc is attached.  There is an LV called /dev/VG1/pvmove0,
which is roughly twice as big as /dev/hda5 and a little smaller than
/dev/hda6, if that gives any clues.

I have seen (too late, of course!) that there are advisories such as Red
Hat's RHBA-2005:192-19 which mention problems with a long running pvmove.
Unfortunately I'm now stuck.  Pvmove won't sort out the problem, and as
an LVM newbie I don't know what recovery tools I might use.  The kernel
panics any time I either mount or fsck the Reiserfs on the /usr LV
(which was fine before this as it had been checked on reboot).

The linux-lvm list archive search doesn't help me, as I can't even make
it come up with the single posting that Google shows me on this error,
https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2005-February/msg00059.html

I'd be very grateful for any help at all in recovering /usr, it would
save me a massive reinstallation job.

Thanks in hope,

Nick, posting from work due to lack of /usr at home !