[linux-lvm] RE: LVM VG keeps disappearing

Post, Mark K mark.post at eds.com
Fri Jun 17 18:26:08 UTC 2005

I'm still trying to figure out this problem.  When I run an "strace -f
-F vgscan" the only thing that looks odd to me is this:
open("/dev/vg01/group", O_RDONLY)       = 4
ioctl(4, 0xc004fe05, 0x800095b0)        = -1 ENXIO (No such device or
address)
close(4)                                = 0
open("/dev/vg01/group", O_RDONLY)       = 4
ioctl(4, 0xc004fe05, 0x800095b0)        = -1 ENXIO (No such device or
address)
close(4)                                = 0

Now, that device node does exist, so I don't understand what the error
means:
# ls -l /dev/vg01/group
crw-r-----  1 root disk 109, 0 Feb 17 02:15 /dev/vg01/group

When I compare the output to another system where LVM is working, I get
this:
open("/dev/vg01/group", O_RDONLY)       = 4
ioctl(4, 0xc004fe05, 0x406600)          = 0
close(4)                                = 0

Does this suggest anything to anyone?  Can anyone help me?  Thanks,

Mark Post