[linux-lvm] Is LVM safe?

AJ Lewis alewis at redhat.com
Mon Jun 20 14:42:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 04:09:10PM +0200, Philipp Riegger wrote:
> On 20. Jun 2005, at 15:49 Uhr, John Rowe wrote:
>
> >If I have a Physical Volume which is the only Physical Volume in a
> >Volume Group, can I always recover the recover the Volume Group if I
> >have absolutely nothing else just like I can with an ext3 partition?
>
> Yes, it's easy. You just need a kernel with DM-Support and the
> LVM2-Tools.
>
> A simple
>
> vgscan
> vgchangs -ay
>
> And you have your "Partitions" back.

Well, it's not quite that simple - if something scribbles over your LVM
metadata (i've never seen this happen where it wasn't user error), you need to
do quite a bit more work to get things back so you can activate your LVs so
you can fsck your ext3 partition.  It usually involves at least running a
vgcfgrestore against the backup file in /etc/lvm/backup.  So yes, it can be
more complicated if the lvm metadata gets broken - but this is similar to what
happens if the partition table gets busted on a normal disk.

--
AJ Lewis                                   Voice:  612-638-0500
Red Hat Inc.                               E-Mail: alewis at redhat.com
One Main Street SE, Suite 209
Minneapolis, MN 55414

Current GPG fingerprint = D9F8 EDCE 4242 855F A03D  9B63 F50C 54A8 578C 8715
Grab the key at: http://people.redhat.com/alewis/gpg.html or one of the
many keyservers out there...