[linux-lvm] Is LVM safe?

AJ Lewis alewis at redhat.com
Mon Jun 20 15:12:11 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 04:00:49PM +0100, John Rowe wrote:

> > > Yes, it's easy. You just need a kernel with DM-Support and the
>
> > But this is similar to what
> > happens if the partition table gets busted on a normal disk.
>
> So the previous poster's "Yes" actually means "No". And a broken
> partition table will zap a disk with an LVM partition too won't it? So
> the bottom line is that if I want to move an LVM partition to a
> different system I have to hold my breath and pray.

No - that should just work.  You just need to have the device-mapper kernel
modules and the lvm2 tools.  Then you do a 'vgscan && vgchange -ay' and it
will be there.

> The idea that a disk partition needs Unix file to be able to read it is
> absolutely astonishing.

What?

--
AJ Lewis                                   Voice:  612-638-0500
Red Hat Inc.                               E-Mail: alewis at redhat.com
One Main Street SE, Suite 209
Minneapolis, MN 55414

Current GPG fingerprint = D9F8 EDCE 4242 855F A03D  9B63 F50C 54A8 578C 8715
Grab the key at: http://people.redhat.com/alewis/gpg.html or one of the
many keyservers out there...