[linux-lvm] lvm over raid5 - sizes

Scott Serr serrs at theserrs.net
Tue Mar 1 16:02:54 UTC 2005

Oh wow...  I thought EMVS was a LVM2 "equivalent."  Can't really give
you any ideas about EMVS without doing some reading, but the "RAID5
region" sounds neat.

My Experience:
I've been using LVM2 ontop of software RAID5 for over a year.  I've been
happy with it.  It seems a little slow... but I don't care too much.  I
know atleast some other people are doing it, and it does fit my needs.
I've gone through the whole "grow" process twice now.  It is time
consuming to grow the disk, but you don't have to sit and watch...  and
you can have the system live if you wish.  A "pvmove /dev/md0 /dev/md3"
takes about 8 hours with their sizes about 174GB.

If you can afford 1 hot spare (like your other message said) you might
want to go with RAID1, it would be faster.