[linux-lvm] Partition table gone? Any way to restore?

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Wed Mar 2 20:44:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 19:17 +0000, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:
> Le 02.03.2005 20:08:11, oliver a écrit :
> > I do have an empty 120GB hdd available to dump the entire contence
> > on. I guess dd will do the trick?
>
> ddrescue the weapon of the last chance ...

I wouldn't even call it the last chance.

If you're doing anything you suspect might toast your drive even
further, it's a very good idea to run dd_rescue on it first, so you have
a 2nd copy of the data to fall back on if something goes kerflooey.

Anyway, dd_rescue does appear to have advantages for data recovery,
relative to the more traditional "dd conv=noerror,sync".