[linux-lvm] Help! CRC Calculation how and where?

oliver oliver at are-b.org
Fri Mar 4 00:18:25 UTC 2005

So I went ahead and did as I said in my previous post. Everything looks
good. I was missing some header information however. I'm guessing the
'HM' parts are the PV information, and the 'HI' parts are the VG parts.
Eitherway I 'copied' the missing bytes from my other two disks. I did
this because on my other LVM setup these first few bytes where identical
on all three disks aswell.

The data between 0x1a0 and 0x1cf is the last cruelpit however. There
appears to be some CRC value or checksum calculated. I did not notice it
at first, as pvcreate did create something there aswell which looked
very similar. However it is not. Now I checked on my other LVM setup,
and there also three different data sets. So I'm guessing it's a
generated checksum or something the like.

I'm kinda lost here now however. What to do, what to do. Since it's late
here I'm going to sleep. However I was thinking about the following, A)
go through the LVM 1.08 source tree and find the checksum/crc algorithm
and find out over wich area it is performed.
B) take a look at fix UUID. A contributated tool that would fix UUID's
in older version. Now I don't really need that I don't think as it might
mess up things more then it fixes, however it does most likley contain
the oh so wanted insight on where and what to checksum/hash/whatever.

If somebody knows where to look, or better yet, what to do that would be
greatly appreciated.

Oliver.