[linux-lvm] Building up a RAID5 LVM home server (long)

Ron Watkins rwatkins at malor.com
Wed Mar 2 07:08:06 UTC 2005

Unfortunately, RAID5 just isn't very flexible.   In exchange, you get to use
most of your purchased drive space, you don't have to spend a mountain of
money, and you get pretty reasonable speed.  (slow on writes, quite fast on
reads).  RAID-10 is faster, and can often take more drives failing (small
chance of up to half), but costs you 50% of your storage space.

It's a bit suboptimal, but you can, using LVM, expand a RAID-5, by adding
more discrete RAID-5 PVs.  Each individual RAID array should be made from
similar drives, but you can stripe across multiple physical RAIDs that way.
This is, however, less reliable.  Whenever you stripe across multiple
volumes, if any of the volumes fail, you lose everything.  RAID5 volumes are
less likely to fail, but whatever that risk is, you're taking multiples of
that risk by striping across multiple volumes.

I'm sorry I was so annoyed-sounding, I don't normally flame too much.  That
last question I asked was actually somewhat serious... what is your data
WORTH?  If it's just stuff you can easily recreate, like video files off
Usenet, then you may not need a RAID at all.  Just join all your existing
disks together.  You have a high chance of failure that way, but if you
don't care about the data, big deal.  A failure just costs you some
rebuilding time.

If you do care about the data, and it sounds like you do, think about how
much it would cost you to replace, and budget accordingly.  My pointed words
were coming from a background of 'data loss is a catastrophe!'.  If it's not
unique/irreplaceable, maybe just burning it to CD every once in awhile would
be enough.

If you really do want the data protection of a RAID, your design won't get
you there. Do it right... spend enough money to do a good job.  Otherwise,
just back up stuff you care about.

You can often save money by being clever, but RAID itself is already
exceedingly clever.  No matter how much thinking time you do, you're not
likely to improve on it much.