[linux-lvm] Reducing the Linux LVM(8e) partition itself (not PV, VG or LV)

Delian Krustev krustev at krustev.net
Mon Mar 7 13:54:48 UTC 2005

On Sunday 06 March 2005 15:30, Ajeet Nankani wrote:
> I have a /dev/hda6 partition as Linux LVM(8e), its size is around 8GB.
> I have one PV(no free PEs in it all are allocated) in this partition.
> This PV has a total size of around 7GB.
> I have also made sure that this PV is contiguous from the start of the
> LVM partition hence it is confirmed that the free 1GB is at the end of
> LVM partition.
> I want to reduce this Linux LVM(8e) partition and recover this 1GB free
> space to create a fat32 partition.
> When i tried to print partition table of this /dev/hda6 through gnu
> parted, it gave error "Error: Could not detect file system." and so
> qtparted does not work either.

There's no partition table or filesystem on a LVM partiton.

> Is there anyway to reduce this linux LVM (8e) partition safely?

Here are the steps. I hope I won't miss one:

lvreduce ..(if You don't have enough free PE)
pvmove ..
vgreduce ..
repartition(fdisk, cfdisk, parted .. )
possible reboot(reread the partition table)
pvcreate ..
vgextend ..
possibly lvextend ..
mkdosfs ..