[linux-lvm] Re: Welcome to the "linux-lvm" mailing list

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Wed Mar 30 06:52:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 09:02:28AM +0800, Andy Sy wrote:
>Just like the kernel is now able to autodetect and
>autoenable md RAID arrays, are there plans to make
kernel autodetection of md arrays is almost always a bad idea,
it is far better to use mdadm in user space for that.

>lvm do the same?  (i.e integrate the functionality
>of vgscan / vgchange -ay,-an into the kernel)
no, it is an user space task, there is no reason to
burden the kernel with this.

a different thing my be said for kernel level manual configuration
(the md=....) commandline, but i dont' feel the need to implement
a device mapper kernel commandline to achieve this.

L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
 /"\