[linux-lvm] "pvchange --uuid" failed when PV is in use

Shinn'ya Hoshino s-hoshino at vx.cnt.dnes.jp.nec.com
Tue May 24 12:32:11 UTC 2005

Hello,

I tried to "pvchange --uuid /dev/sdc1" to change of PV UUID.
But FAILED to change PV UUID on PV metadata, only changed on VG
metadata. I'm trying to correct source code, please help.

When PV is orphan, "pvchange --uuid /dev/sdc1" changes PV UUID
successfully. At this time, pvchange calls pv_write(). But when
PV is in use by VG, pvchange only calls vg_write(), pv_write()
is not called.

vg_write() does not have function to change PV metadata.
Therefore, probably pvchange needs to call pv_write() to write
UUID into PV metadata. But pv_write() is forbidden to call when
PV is in use by VG. LV is not mounted... Even if there was no
LV, it failed.

Please teach me why it is forbidden.
If there is a method of allowing pv_write(), I want to try it.

BTW, I want to activate VG on raw-level duplicated PV. I look
for this ML. When edit lvm.conf and "pvchange --uuid" and
vgrename, it turned out that it is possible. However, if
pvchange does not function correctly, there is no how to adopt a
measure.

Best Regards,

--
   Shinn'ya Hoshino     mailto:s-hoshino at vx.cnt.dnes.jp.nec.com