[linux-lvm] One of 8 PVs dead - Trying to rescue data from remaining 7

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Sun Nov 27 15:34:55 UTC 2005

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 09:21:45AM -0500, Old Fart wrote:
> Craig Hagerman wrote:
> >Yeah, this would work with 3 discs, but doesn't answer the general
> >question about recovering data from a single LVM drive. In my 2 drive
> >system it wouldn't work. Any other ideas? I would assume that if one
> >drive failed it should be trivial to be able to access the information
> >on the remaining drive. If not, then I would be a lot safer going back
> >to a non-LVM system using the two drives as distinct partitions.

> Take a look at a 2 disk raid 1 array as a pv.  I have seen that array
> degrade to 1 drive and the LV was ok.

I think his question is not "how do I avoid data loss with multiple
disks under LVM?" but more like "I lost a disk and had no
redundancy, my LV was spread onto that disk, how do I recover the
parts of it that are on the good disk(s)?"

However I've personally got no idea since I do everything to avoid
ever being in that position and luckily have not been there yet.

Certainly I would never consider putting an LV on a disk with no
redundancy these days but that's not what the OP is asking.

Andy