[linux-lvm] Enterprise Backup Software with good support for LVM

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Tue Nov 29 18:29:19 UTC 2005

--On November 29, 2005 12:03:39 PM -0600 Mark F <mfaine at knology.net> wrote:

> Could someone suggest an Enterprise Backup package that has good support
> for LVM (LVM2 in this case) on Linux (Specifically Suse Linux Enterprise
> 9) Most products I've seen say they support block level backups but don't
> specifically say they support LVM.

LVM provides a block level device.  However you don't want to back up there
anyway, you'll just end up with corrupt garbage.  You need to back up at
the filesystem level unless you're using your LVM LVs for Oracle or
something similar in which case the backup software needs to support that
by putting Oracle or the related application into the correct hot backup
mode before attempting to directly read the LVM data, as well as backing up
the transaction/redo logs.