[linux-lvm] creating a snapshot

Bill Ranck ranck at vt.edu
Wed Oct 19 17:06:09 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 17:56 +0100, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 12:53:21PM -0400, Bill Ranck wrote:
> >   snapshot: Required device-mapper target(s) not detected in your kernel
>
> modprobe dm-snapshot

Thanks, that worked.

> There's an untested fix for this in CVS now.

Huh?  Where/what is CVS?  Is this fix something up2date would grab?
Sorry, I'm fairly new to the Redhat way of doing things.

On a related topic, is there any way to create a snapshot outside of the
volume group containing the original target?  I'm short on space in the
original VG and would like the snapshot the use some other space in a
different VG.  If not, I'll have to shuffle some disk space around.

--
Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.