[linux-lvm] setting up LVM, lost everything with a typo

Mike Snitzer snitzer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 19:54:41 UTC 2005

On 10/19/05, Craig Hagerman <craighagerman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently got a new HD and thought it was about time I started using
> LVM. Unfortunatly, I think I have ended up loosing all of my data due
> to a typo. I would like to know if my data is lost forever. If not,
> what can I do now to recover. Here is the whole story...

You've changed the partition table of /dev/sdb but the data itself _should_
still be intact (changing the type shouldn't adversely affect the offsets of
your sdb1 partition). You might try the type change on /dev/sda2 and then
restore the backup of the media_vg's VGDA from /etc/lvm/backup/media_vg
using pvcreate and vgcfgrestore, something like:

pvcreate --restorefile /etc/lvm/backup/media_vg --uuid
rlnV4y-B4eJ-Pyc0-RLJm-2Zbv-t04C-dxzU1A /dev/sdb1
pvcreate --restorefile /etc/lvm/backup/media_vg --uuid
ZHl4Ak-mGS4-wFlF-4neF-G1Ed-GxWB-C4Smj6
/dev/sda2
vgcfgrestore -f /etc/lvm/backup/media_vg test_vg

That said, its unclear to me why /dev/sda2 is unknown... so take my advise
at your own risk ;)