[linux-lvm] Resizing the root LVM partition

AJ Lewis alewis at redhat.com
Tue Sep 13 14:58:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 02:10:20PM -0700, Jonathan Morace wrote:
> I'm having a problem adding disks to my root partition, which is using
> LVM.  The quick summary is that I think I need to run resize2fs on the
> root partition, but I can't figure out how to unmount the root
> partition to do so.
>
> The longer version of the story...  I'm running Fedora Core 2, and
> when I installed I had the root partition configured to be on two
> disks using LVM.  I added two more disks to the computer and followed
> the howto to initialize the disks, add the physical volumes to the
> volume group, and extend the logical volume.  When I run "lvdisplay" I
> see my logical volume is the correct size, but "df" only shows the
> original size.  I'm assuming this is because I haven't done a
> "resize2fs".  The reason I haven't is because I can't figure out how
> to unmount the root filesystem in order to do this.  If I boot with
> linux rescue, I can choose not to mount the filesystems, but then the
> LVM devices don't exist.  I read somewhere that running "lvm vgscan -v
> --mknodes" should do the trick, but as far as I could tell, no devices
> were created.
>
> Any ideas on how I can get the root partition resized to include the new disks?

Run 'lvm vgchange -ay' after the vgscan command and your devices should be
there.

--
AJ Lewis                                   Voice:  612-638-0500
Red Hat                                    E-Mail: alewis at redhat.com
One Main Street SE, Suite 209
Minneapolis, MN 55414

Current GPG fingerprint = D9F8 EDCE 4242 855F A03D  9B63 F50C 54A8 578C 8715
Grab the key at: http://people.redhat.com/alewis/gpg.html or one of the
many keyservers out there...