[linux-lvm] Recovering Data From LVM

Martin Ebourne lists at ebourne.me.uk
Sat Sep 17 16:02:29 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 08:51 -0500, michael at stellarimagination.com wrote:
> The problem is that there does not appear to be any logical volumes in the
> volume group.  This was the original layout of the disks:
>
> /dev/hda1 ext3   102MB  1   13
> /dev/hda2  lvm 39104MB 14 4998
>
> VolGroup00   Size 39040
>   LogVol00 / ext3 38272
>   LogVol01   swap   768
> I suspect that I corrupted the structure of the LVM when I was trying to
> mount it originally.  At one point I had run "vgcreate oldhdd /dev/hb2" or
> something to that effect.  None of the processes took more than a second,
> so I strongly believe that the data itself is still there.

Looks like you need to restore the original metadata to the drive, from
before you accidentally modified it. You'll find a history of metadata
backups in /etc/lvm/archives. Pick the last one that looks good (read
them, they're text files) and use vgcfgrestore to write it back to the
drive.

Then "vgchange -ay" should find the volume group and make all the
logical volumes active.

Cheers,

Martin.