[linux-lvm] Removing PE from LV fails

Sebastian sebastian at alice-it.net
Mon Sep 19 18:02:57 UTC 2005

Hello list,

sorry for my mail bombing this day, I was really upset about my
troubles. I did actually kill the process by kill -9, and as far as I
can see, there have been no problems.

Now I'd like to ask a question about my main problem:

I can't remove one PE from the VG. I'm running LVM 1.0.8-2 on RHEL 3.
This is what the shell gives me:

    # pvmove /dev/sde
    pvmove -- moving physical extents in active volume group "express_vg"
    pvmove -- WARNING: if you lose power during the move you may need
            to restore your LVM metadata from backup!
    pvmove -- do you want to continue? [y/n] y
    Segmentation fault

I can't see the Distribution as well:

    # pvdisplay -v /dev/sde
    --- Physical volume ---
    PV Name               /dev/sde
    VG Name               express_vg
    PV Size               1.37 TB [2938208256 secs] / NOT usable 64.25
    MB [LVM: 215 KB]
    PV#                   6
    PV Status             available
    Allocatable           NO
    Cur LV                1
    PE Size (KByte)       65536
    Total PE              22415
    Free PE               19530
    Allocated PE          2885
    PV UUID               JtrSU1-82Om-HjJC-5rvC-aVwB-Cc5y-WsRbHQ

       --- Distribution of physical volume ---
       LV Name                   LE of LV  PE for LV
    Segmentation fault

Even with the -d option, there is not more information regarding the
Distribution of physical volume. I it helps I can put the -d and -vv
outputs on a webserver.

What I did not try yet is booting off a gentoo live-CD and using LVM2 to
remove the PE. Is that a good decision?

Thank you for any help. Best regards,
Sebastian