[linux-lvm] Recovering data from a damaged LVM partition?

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Thu Apr 6 21:45:08 UTC 2006

First post to this list, so please forgive me if I'm not on topic, or
repeating a common issue.

I have been asked to try to get data from a drive with a damaged partition.
In the past I've done this with ddrescue, and then mounted the resulting
image file.  That's not working in this case because the partition in
question was part of an LVM volume.

My experience with LVM is not that great, as I've never seen a need for it on
my systems.  But, I've installed the LVM tools, and modified my kernel for
LVM support, and can at least see the volume on the damaged drive now.  But I
want to focus on the image file, not the drive.

So, the question is how to mount an image file of an LVM partition?  Anytime I
try the mount command, it's complaining about the file system type.  I've
tried the different options for the -t argument, (and am using the -o loop as
well).

I'm hesitant to run any of the LVM commands to create a volume set, or
intialize a partition, for fear of loosing the data.  (though I could run
ddrescue again I suppose, as long as I don't touch the source drive).

Does anyone have any experience here they'd care to share?  Thanks.

BTW, the disk in question is from a default install of Fedora Core 4, and the
system only had a single drive.  So LVM probably wasn't needed in this case,
but the person that installed the system is not comfortable with the file
system details.

Shawn