[linux-lvm] can't use swap after switch to LVM

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Sun Apr 9 17:31:33 UTC 2006

I just switched my desktop FC5 system from using software RAID over regular
partitions to using software RAID over LVM; everything works fine, except
I can't enable my swap.

On boot, I get the following messages:

   device-mapper: device 9:1 too small for target
   device-mapper: dm-linear: Device lookup failed
   device-mapper: error adding target to table
   .
   .
   .
   Unable to find swap-space signature

My swap volume is listed like this in my /etc/fstab:

   /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0

If I try to format the swap volume, mkswap tells me that it's too small:

   # mkswap /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01
   mkswap: error: swap area needs to be at least 40kB

But 'lvm lvs' reports that's it's 1GB:

   LogVol01 VolGroup00 -wi-d-     1.00G

I've tried deleting and recreating the swap volume:

   # lvm lvremove VolGroup00/LogVol01
   # lvm lvcreate -L 1024M -n LogVol01 VolGroup00
   device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
   Failed to activate new LV.

Does anyone have an idea of what's going wrong here?

--
J.