[linux-lvm] lost volume group

Jonathan E Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Tue Apr 11 14:53:38 UTC 2006

I'll assume you had one disk (hdb4)  to start with, and you wanted to
extend the VG by adding (hdb2).

When you did the mkfs, you destroyed the LVM label on the newly added
disk. You are probably now getting something like:
Couldn't find device with uuid...
Couldn't find all physical volumes...

You need to do the vgcfgrestore, as you said, but doing:
prompt> vgcfgrestore swampvg
will give you:
Couldn't find device with uuid '<your uuid>'

You can easily recreate that uuid on that device and restore by doing:
prompt> pvcreate -u <your uuid> /dev/hdb4
prompt> vgcfgrestore swampvg

You should be good to go now.

  brassow