[linux-lvm] LVM2, NFS and random device (major:minor) numbers

Sander Steffann s.steffann at computel.nl
Fri Apr 14 20:54:14 UTC 2006

Hi Paul,

> NFS depends on what the server says the underlying device id is of the
> exported volume and if that changes, then NFS mounts are going to change
> out from under themselves.  And everytime I add a volume and reboot the
> device ids change.

Unfortunate, but true. One of the side-effects of having dynamic volumes.
Also note that you would get similar trouble if, for example, you added a
SCSI device with a lower SCSI-id than an existing SCSI device. /dev/sdb1
would become /dev/sdc1, etc.

> I finally come upon this old post to this list:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2005-May/msg00029.html

The part that can solve everything for you is:
>> These days, that's configurable.
>> See 'man exports' fsid=num.

With an explicit fsid=n for every export, you tell the NFS server to ignore
the device-id, and use the specified fsid instead. That way you get
consistent NFS exports, without being dependent on the underlying
device-ids.

I have had the same trouble as you have, and this solution works great.
Sander.