[linux-lvm] LVM2, NFS and random device (major:minor) numbers

Paul Raines raines at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 14 21:22:20 UTC 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 10:08:40AM -0400, Paul Raines wrote:
>> I have a NFS server still running CentOS 4.0 (kernel 2.6.9-5.0.5.ELsmp,
>> lvm2-2.00.31-1.0.RHEL4).
>
> man exports
> /fsid

Yes, I mentioned in my email I did not considered this a viable solution
as for one it only solves the issue for NFS and not for other programs
like incremental backup that depend on a persistent device id.

Your quick short response seems to imply to me this is a common issue
and so should really be in the HOWTO and FAQ so new admins putting
up NFS servers using LVM should be pre-informed.  Especially since
is the kind of thing that will seem to work fine at the start and
then bite them in the ass later on.