[linux-lvm] help after unsuccessful reduce using e2fsadmin

Diane Rolland drolland at kdinet.com
Sun Apr 23 17:07:19 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I have a development box I am playing around with lvm on.  I had
successfully extended a VG using e2fsadm.

Command was:
e2fsadm -L+24G /dev/vg1/lvol1

I then wanted to reduce it by the same amount:
drsvr02:/root# e2fsadm -L-24G /dev/vg1/lvol1
e2fsck 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/vg1/lvol1: 818050/11960320 files (13.1% non-contiguous),
15412825/23920640 blocks
resize2fs 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
Begin pass 2 (max = 49740)
Relocating blocks             XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Begin pass 3 (max = 730)
Scanning inode table          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Begin pass 4 (max = 37732)
Updating inode references     XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXThe
filesystem on /dev/vg1/lvol1 is now 17629184 blocks long.

lvreduce -- WARNING: reducing active logical volume to 67.25 GB
lvreduce -- THIS MAY DESTROY YOUR DATA (filesystem etc.)
lvreduce -- ERROR "No such device or address" reducing logical volume
"/dev/vg1/lvol1" in kernel

After the error, I tried to e2fsck and even mount, but:

drsvr02:/root# e2fsck /dev/vg1/lvol1
e2fsck 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
e2fsck: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while
trying to open /dev/vg1/lvol1
Could this be a zero-length partition?
drsvr02:/root# mount /mail
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/vg1/lvol1,
       or too many mounted file systems

Vgdisplay still gives me the following:

drsvr02:/root# vgdisplay
--- Volume group ---
VG Name               vg1
VG Access             read/write
VG Status             available/resizable
VG #                  0
MAX LV                256
Cur LV                1
Open LV               0
MAX LV Size           2 TB
Max PV                256
Cur PV                2
Act PV                2
VG Size               92.19 GB
PE Size               32 MB
Total PE              2950
Alloc PE / Size       2152 / 67.25 GB
Free  PE / Size       798 / 24.94 GB
VG UUID               g4xXEb-TpOU-TNBM-TZSc-fbIm-NPw4-wHKrkM

Is there any recovery possibility?  Or how do I go about blowing everything
away and starting over?

Thanks for any help,
Diane