[linux-lvm] HELP: system unbootable after failed pvmove (unrecognized segment type mirror)

Joe Harvell joeharvell at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 5 16:18:20 UTC 2006

Please help.

  Yesterday I executed 'pvmove /dev/sda5 /dev/sda3' to move data within volume group 'london.'  It failed as paraphrased below:

  $ pvmove /dev/sda5 /dev/sda3
  Unrecognised segment type mirror
  Unable to active mirror logical volume
  Execute pvmove --abort
  Unrecognised segment type mirror
  Unrecognised segement type mirror

  The pvmove command hung and never completed.  I executed the 'lvs' command from another window and it hung.  I executed the 'pvmove --abort' command from another window and it hung, too.

  The system was up and running and working fine, as long as I didn't enter an LVM command.

  pvmove has worked for me before on this system.  I think what changed is that I recompiled it without mirrors support because I was tired of seeing the "Unrecognized segment type mirror" all the time.  I think this broke pvmove, because when I read the documentation about what it does, it says it creates a mirror LV or something like that.

  When I rebooted, the failure happend in my initrd.  My / and /usr are in LVs in VG london.  When I did the lvm vgscan, it complains with the following two lines several times:

  Unrecognised segment type mirror
  Couldn't read all logical volumes for volume group london

  At the end it says 'Volume group "london" not found'

  By the way, it did find one of my other volume groups.

  The initrd LVM version info is as follows:

  LVM version: 2.02.05 (2006-04-21)
  Library version: 1.02.07 (2006-05-11)
  Drvier version: 4.5.0

  The kernel is 2.6.16.

  In the system the initrd is trying to boot, the LVM version info should be the same.  It is definitely either the same or newer.  As I stated earlier, the lvm tools in the system were compiled without mirror support.  I think the same is true of the version in the initrd, but it might not be the case.

  Okay, so what do I do???

http://mail.yahoo.com