[linux-lvm] Best way to image devices in an LVM environment

Jim Morgan peripatetic at myrealbox.com
Sun Aug 27 05:20:26 UTC 2006

At 27/08/2006 12:42, you wrote:
>So how would you accomplish the task of replacing sda and sdb with
>larger disks in the least amount of effort?  Downtime is not a
>problem, taking backups of the data is not a problem, booting off a
>live cd is not a problem; the goal is to find the least
>labour-intensive way to do this.

As I understand it -- and as I've proved before in this list, my
understanding is fundamentally flawed :-) -- there is a way to do this.

Basically you have to force one disk to fail using the raid
administration software. You then remove the disk, replace it with
the bigger disk, and rebuild it from the first one. The partition
sizes may need adjusting. Then you force the other disk to fail, and
replace it with the larger one, and then rebuild it from the other large disk.

Hopefully someone can flesh this out for me, or you may now have a
starting point for some googling.

Jim