[linux-lvm] Best way to image devices in an LVM environment

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Sun Aug 27 06:16:42 UTC 2006

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 01:20:26PM +0800, Jim Morgan wrote:
> At 27/08/2006 12:42, you wrote:
> >So how would you accomplish the task of replacing sda and sdb with
> >larger disks in the least amount of effort?  Downtime is not a
> >problem, taking backups of the data is not a problem, booting off a
> >live cd is not a problem; the goal is to find the least
> >labour-intensive way to do this.
>
> As I understand it -- and as I've proved before in this list, my
> understanding is fundamentally flawed :-) -- there is a way to do this.
>
> Basically you have to force one disk to fail using the raid
> administration software. You then remove the disk, replace it with
> the bigger disk, and rebuild it from the first one. The partition
> sizes may need adjusting. Then you force the other disk to fail, and
> replace it with the larger one, and then rebuild it from the other large
> disk.

Well I would then be left with two large disks where sd[ab]5 (and
the sd[ab]4 primary partition that sd[ab]5 is the only logical
partition within) does not extend all the way to the end of the
disk.  I wasn't aware that you could resize RAID-1 md arrays though,
I thought it was restricted to RAID-5.  Is this not the case?

Cheers,
Andy