[linux-lvm] Best way to image devices in an LVM environment

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Mon Aug 28 20:04:56 UTC 2006

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 08:51:46PM +0100, Graham Wood wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 07:48:43PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> > that lvm2 has had pvresize since 2.02.00 so if I upgrade userland
> > tools (my kernel is 2.6.16.19) then would I just need to do a
> > pvresize after expanding the block device that my single pv/vg is
> > on?
> Would it not be easier to just replace with a larger disk - mirror to the same size, and
> have another partition afterwards.
>
> You end up with 2pvs (both mirrored, I would expect), rather than the "nicer" answer of a
> single pv, but as long as the whole thing is then controlled through LVM is there really any
> loss as a result?

Hmm yes as you say I think I could just make another partition in
the empty space, RAID-1 that, put a PV on the new MD device and then
vgextend onto it I suppose.  It just seems a litlle messy though to
needlessly have the extra partitions and if I can fix it before the
machine is put in production then I feel like I probably should.

Cheers,
Andy