[linux-lvm] Ran vgreduce --missing to remove broken disk, am I screwed?

Thomas Novin thnov at xyz.pp.se
Tue Aug 29 21:02:36 UTC 2006

> I had a disk that stopped working. After booting I could see with
> pvdisplay
> that the disk was missing. After reading everything I could find via
> google
> I thought that you were supposed to run 'vgreduce --remove-missing
> volgrp0'
> to remove the missing disk from the group.
>
> After this the volume group looks OK but the entire logical volume got
> removed! Am I screwed now or is there any way to salvage the data which is
> on the remaining three disks?

Please someone answer this, is there any solution to this problem? To
clarify:

- Disk failure
- Ran 'vgreduce --remove-missing volgrp0' (probably not such a good idea)
- /dev/volgrp0/ emtpy. 'lvdisplay' doesn't show anything.

So, can I somehow restore my logical volume? The three other physical
disks/partitions are intact.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas Novin